Welcome to July. It is my favourite month because it is the kickoff month to summer, usually great weather, cherry season and it is my birthday month.!! July is also National Ice Cream Month. Wow! So many great things in one month. Another thing about July is that it is usually the celebration of the Calgary Stampede. A celebration of the western spirit held in Calgary every year for the last 100 years. Although this year due to circumstances beyond our control, it has been postponed until 2021. One of the best things about the Calgary Stampede is the mini donuts that one gets at the fair grounds. Ice cream month and mini donuts. Yes!! Lets make an easy no churn mini donut ice cream.
Making the Mini Donuts
A few years back, I found this great recipe for gluten free mini donuts. You will need to have or purchase a donut pan. I can’t remember where I found mine but you can get them through Amazon, and Pampered Chef has a great one as well.
Gluten Free Mini Donuts
- 1/4 cup Butter
- 1/4 cup Coconut oil
- 1/2 cup Cane sugar or coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup Brown Sugar
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1-1/2 tsp Vanilla
- 1 cup Milk or Milk alternative (almond milk, oat milk, coconut milk)
- 2-2/3 cup All Purpose Gluten Free Flour I used Bobs Red Mill
- 1/2 tsp Xantham gum Omit if your flour blend already contains this
- 1-1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Baking Soda
- 3/4 tsp Ground Nutmeg
- 2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp Salt
- Preheat oven to 425. Fahrenheit
- Grease mini donut pan with oil or butter. Cream together butter, oil and sugars with your electric mixer until smooth. Add the eggs, milk and vanilla. Beat until smooth. Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, cinnamon and salt . Add to the butter mixture and mix until well incorporated. Using a piping bag or a plastic baggie with the corner cut off, pour batter into the donut pan.
- Bake for 7 mins or until donuts are a pale, golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the donut comes out clean. Remove from the oven and let cool for 2-3 mins, then turn pan over onto a cooling rack.
- Repeat with remaining batter and grease pan for each use.
No Churn Ice Cream
I never really knew making ice cream at home was so easy. I always thought that you needed an expensive ice cream maker. But no, you can make it at home with just 3 ingredients, a mixer and a loaf pan.. Easy peasy.
Quick and Easy No Churn Ice Cream
- 2 cups Whole Cream
- 1 can Condensed Milk use as much as needed to sweeten to taste. I do not recommend using the whole can
- 1-1/2 tsp Vanilla
- Using your electric mixer, whip the cream and vanilla until it has reached a peak. (test by using the back of the spoon and dip into the mixture and pull up. If the cream makes a peak, it is ready.)
- Fold in the condensed milk a little as a time and taste to ensure sweetness. Add more if necessary.
When the Ice Cream meets the Mini Donut
Once the ice cream mixture is ready, cut up little pieces of donut and fold into the mixture. Pour the ice cream mixture into your loaf pan. I suggest using a metal pan as this will help insulate and freeze the ice cream faster. Cover the pan with foil or plastic wrap and place in the freezer for minimum 8 hours.
And that’s it!! Scoop into your best ice cream dishes or cone and enjoy. Happy Stampede and Happy National Ice Cream month. I am pretty sure this no churn mini donut ice cream will not last the whole month. Heck it may not even last an hour. 🙂
If you are looking for a main course to have before this dessert. We have the Best Stampede BBQ Menu Ever on a previous post. Even if there isn’t a stampede in your neck of the woods, this is still an amazing menu for any BBQ.