Fall, the time of year that brings us sweater weather, pumpkin latte’s and warm comfort food. Also the time when our schedules get busier after the summer months. And if you are like our family, everyone is coming and going in all directions at all times. The sit down family dinner might have to wait. So lets pull out the Crockpot and make a meal that can be eaten at any time. You will have the family asking, ‘What’s in the Crockpot – Thai Red Curry Chicken.
Now I know we all have a crockpot or slow cooker somewhere. If you can’t remember where you put it, it might be hiding in the back of your pantry . Or maybe way back in the cupboard where all the other appliances are. It is one of those appliances that we have and don’t use as often as we should. If you have young adults in the house who are working, going to school, or socializing with friends, like we do. You never know when they will be home. But I still have that feeling of nourishing the family with healthy meals. (Now whether they eat it or not, that is another thing!). So this year I am hopeful that I can use the crockpot a couple times a month. For inspiration, my go to is of course, Pinterest. Check out our board – What’s in the Crockpot for your inspiration too..
There are so many recipes out there for the slow cooker that can be used anytime of year. We think of the slow cooker as a fall/winter meal planning tool. But it is also great for the summer months when it is just to hot to use the oven or stove.
Recipes that you would normally use the stove or oven for can also be adapted for the slow cooker. And that is just what I did with the following recipe Thai Red Curry Chicken. I took a 30 minute meal one pot meal and prepped it early in the day and popped it in the Crockpot.
This meal from Carlsbad Cravings was a winner in our house. Great for lunch leftovers!
Thai Red Curry Chicken
- 1 pound chicken breasts sliced into 1/4" slices then 2" pieces
- 1/2 large onion chopped
- 2 tbsp red curry paste
- 1 red bell pepper thinly sliced
- 1 orange bell pepper thinly slices
- 1-1/2 cups kale chopped **the original recipe calls for zucchini but I really like the kale. It just gives a little more crunch to the dish**
- 2 tsp ginger freshly grated
- 4 garlic gloves minced
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp Thai sweet chili sauce
- 2 tbsp soy sauce *this can be gluten free by using Braggs soy seasoning or a coconut aminos*
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp dry basil
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Chop all vegetables and chicken as per the directions above and put into the slow cooker. Add the coconut milk and all the seasonings to the slow cooker. Mix well. Cook on high for approximately 2 hours or on low for 5 hours.Ladle over rice, or quinoa and enjoy. You can garnish with cilantro, lime juice or some sriracha for added spiciness.
That’s is, that’s all. So easy and the family can eat something healthy when they are home. And next time when they are wondering What’s in the Crockpot – Thai Red Curry Chicken will definitely be the answer.
This happens to be our first slow cooker recipe on the blog. What??!! But I am sure will not be the last. Is there a go to slow cooker recipe that you have in your house? We would love to hear about it below in the comments. Also if you have any questions, please ask in the comments too. WE love the chit chat..