It is getting close that time of year when we celebrate all Moms. It is also that time when we as Moms start dropping hints as to what we would like to do when celebrating ‘our day’. Whether you celebrating the special day in a big way or small, brunch is always a great hit. I mean any meal where we Moms do not have to do the cooking or clean up after is a winner. Am I right ladies? Lately charcuterie boards are all the buzz. So here is Mojo and Moxie’s version of a Mother’s Day Brunch Charcuterie Board. You are going to want to share this post with the husband and more importantly the kids. 🙂
How to Build a Charcuterie Board
**disclaimer – when I say ‘you’ in the content I mean kids or husband, not you MOM!)
When starting your Mother’s Day Brunch Charcuterie Board, it is a good thing to plan it out first so you have the products and ingredients you will need. Might be a good idea to make the board up of some of Mom’s favourites. For the sake of the board in this post, I used some of my favourites (all gluten free, I may add).
- Make sure you have a charcuterie board that is the right size. If not, you may have to purchase one and this can also double as a mothers day gift!
Check out your local home goods store, such as Homesense as stock is plentiful. Or a better idea is to support our local artisans. Check out what you have in your area. A couple of our favourites in Calgary are Knotty Wood Design and Decades Collide.
- Now lets get planning. I chose some great recipes that can be made ahead and reheated or made the morning of and kept warm until the board needs to be assembled.
Waffles, sausages, egg bites and granola mixed in with a variety of fruit.
Some Recipes to Get You Started:
For the Egg Bites, see one of our previous posts – Prosciutto Egg Bites.
Waffles. I mean every one has their favourite waffle recipe but here is the one I use. Quick and Easy!
Plain and Easy Breakfast Quickies
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 cup flour You can also use Gluten Free flour 1-1. My favourite is the flour from Cut Cooking
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1-1/2 tbsp sugar
- Pinch salt
- 1 cup milk Or you can use a dairy free alternative.
- 1 large egg
- Preheat your waffle iron
- Melt the butter and reserve. In a large bowl, mix together all the dry ingredients. In another bowl, whisk together the milk and egg. Combine the liquid ingredients with the dry and stop when ingredients are just combined. Add the melted butter
- add enough batter to your waffle iron for one waffle and bake until brown and crispy or until the waffle irons dings!
If you are looking for granola, your best store bought brand will work here to keep things easy. But if you really want to impress Mom, home made granola is the way to go. And the thing with granola is you really do not have to even have a recipe. You can throw whatever you want in it. But if you are looking for a guideline, here is what I do when I make mine and this can be made a day or 2 ahead of Mother’s Day. Bonus Points!!
4 cups of large oats, add about 1/3 cup of coconut, 1/4 cup of sunflower seeds, 1/4 cup of pumpkin seeds, 2 tbsp of ground flax, 2 tbsp hemp seeds. Add 1/2 cup of melted coconut oil, and then add about 3/4 of a liquid sweetener of your choice. I use a combo of maple syrup and honey. Add 2 tbsp of cinnamon and give it all a mix. Place on a cookie sheet and back at 350 until golden brown. About 20 mins. Cool slightly and then spoon into your airtight container.
Once you have all the ingredients for the board, you can start assembling. All in all this may take you an hour max, if you are starting everything from scratch the morning of Mother’s Day and can all be done while Mom is relaxing with a Mimosa or her morning coffee. while still in bed. Add some pretty flowers and you are all set!!
To all you Moms out there, we celebrate you on this day. Being a Mom is hard! Some days we feel like we are killing it and other we feel like absolute defeat.
Just so you know, we hear you, we feel you and we are lifting you up!
Happy Mothers Day to all Moms!! Enjoy your special day.