In honor of National Piña Colada Day, Danni and I bring you our favorite healthy summer dessert for 2022!
Piña Colada ParfaitsJUMP TO RECIPE
My favorite healthy summer dessert for 2022 is such a simple recipe, I almost can’t call it a recipe – so this is going to be a quick post with just the basics, cause that’s all you need. Also, I’m visiting Calgary right now, so I am busy bugging Dani, eating, drinking, stampeding, yahoo-ing and such. I just wanted to get this to you in time for National Pina Colada Day 🙂
Piña Colada Parfaits take NO time to put together, are light and healthy, and a perfect addition to your next summer bbq.
Want a light dessert for book club? Yup – these will work. I dare say you could add these to a breakfast or brunch buffet as well.
I will let you in on a little secret. I don’t really love the idea of a piña colada (coconut and pineapple have never really done it for me), even though my fav pie ever is coconut cream. WEIRD right? But something about this parfait is perfect!
These parfaits are one of those not too sweet desserts. The fresh pineapple adds the only sweetness, so there is no added sugar. The coconut milk adds the richness, and my favorite Trader Joe’s Bourbon Vanilla Abstract adds this awesome touch of just a little something-something.
Use this recipe to fill two wide parfait glasses or use shot glasses for a taster size (buffet ready!)
One thing I DO have to tell you a little about is one of the ingredients in this parfait. Many people will have never heard of ZENBASIL seeds. In fact, even Danni gave me a weird look when I told her I was making a recipe with them. So while basil seeds look almost identical to CHIA seeds, basil seeds have (gram to gram):
2x the fibre, 2x the potassium, 2x the calcium, 2x the iron, and 10x the prebiotics.
Pretty cool, right?
So if you are in to trying new, healthy additions to your diet – give them a try. I bought mine through Amazon, but I attached the link above.
Of course, you can make this recipe with Chia seeds too if that is what you have!
Pina Colada Parfaits
- 1 can unsweetened coconut milk lite or regular
- 1.5 tsp vanilla We like Trader Joes Bourbon Vanilla
- 1 1/2 cup fresh pineapple
- 8 tbsp Chia seeds or ZenBasil seeds try the ZenBasil seeds – really!
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut We like the large flake
- sprinkle optional white chocolate chips if you want to make it "extra"
- Add can of coconut milk and 1 cup of fresh pineapple to the blender.
- Blend until smooth and then pour into your glassware
- For two servings, add 4 tbsp of ZenBasil seeds (or Chia seeds) to each glass and give it a good stir.
- Place in freezer for 15 minutes or if you are serving the next day, in the fridge if you like.
- If you think about it, give it a stir at about 7 minutes just to mix it up again.
- Remove from freezer and add remaining fresh cut pineapple and sprinkle coconut to make it look pretty on top. You can alternate the two ingredients a bit. Just play around with it. And – if you want to make it "extra" add a few white chocolate chips for fun.
- ** If you want to make these in large shot or champagne glasses, I would mix the chia and coconut mixture in one bowl and then add to glassware.
This summer, I expect you to have lots of invites or dinner parties of your own. Take a chance and try this one!
If you are looking for other desserts to try this summer, why not check out some of our other favs:
Wishing you the BEST National Piña Colada Day 🙂