Well summer has finally decided to show it face here in Calgary. After a rainy June, which was greatly needed, the sun is starting to shine. Which means that summer BBQ’s are now being planned. And the classic potato salad is always on the menu. But this time, I have added a twist – SMOKE. This may be the new classic for your summer BBQ – Smoked Potato Salad. NOTE: This recipe is for those with a backyard smoker.
Learning to Use the Smoker
This last Christmas, I bought my husband a wood pellet smoker from Pit Boss Grills. It has been some trial and error and we have tried a few different meats to smoke over the last few months as the husband learns the tricks of the smoker. We have made some smoked chicken wings..which were a winner, winner chicken dinner. Our first attempt at smoked salmon went salty (but that was my fault as I misread the recipe..whoops) and our pork shoulder (which I planned to blog about) didn’t turn out as expected so the blog never happened. Although I did get some good photos..More to come on that one.
But thanks to friends who are more seasoned smokers, they told us about smoked hard boiled eggs. Now this is something that we can do easily because they are cooked prior and then infused with smoke by using the cold smoke technique. Then I thought, well why not add the smoked eggs to a potato salad. And that was when the Summer BBQ Smoked Potato Salad was discovered.
How to Smoke Eggs
The process to smoke eggs is really quite easy.
- Boil your eggs to make them hard boiled
- Peel your eggs
- Season the eggs with salt and pepper and place them in the fridge for approx 1 hour
- Start up your smoker and bring temperature for a cold smoke
- COLD SMOKE – a cold smoke infuses the cooked food with a smoky flavour using minimal heat. Cold smoking is done with a smoker temp no higher then 100 Degrees F
- Place the eggs from the fridge on a rack on a piece of tin foil and place in the smoker.
- Leave for approximately 45 minutes to one hour
The smoked eggs can be refrigerated for up to a week.
Smoked Potato Salad
Smoked Potato Salad
- 3 lbs Yukon Gold Potatoes, cubed
- 4 hard boiled smoked eggs, chopped
- 2 dill pickles, chopped TIP – I always add 2 tbsp dill pickle juice for that extra tang
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped chives
- 1/3 cup radishes, sliced thinly
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
- Peel, cube and place potatoes in a sauce pan of water to boil and cook until fork tender
- Strain potatoes and let cool. (this can be done a day in advance and placed in the fridge until ready to make the salad)
- Transfer potatoes into your serving bowl and add the remaining ingredients even the dressing ingredients
- Stir until combined. Taste to ensure seasoning and you may want to add more salt, pepper or pickle juice.
- Cover and store in the fridge until ready to serve
This summer BBQ smoked potato salad is a level up from the classic potato salad with just that hint of smoke. So yum! (if you like that sorta thing..) Great paired with our Maui Rib Recipe or the Chicken Feta Burgers. You can also add an extra salad from the summer salads and there is the menu for your next summer BBQ.. Add wine or a spicy margarita!!
Enjoy!! Also if you have any questions, please leave them in the comments below.